Recently the folks at Microsoft released the first CTP for Team Foundation Server 2015. Eager to check out the new features I fired up an Azure virtual machine and tried the installation. I like to have full control over what is happening, so I decided to run the “Full Server” (called “Advanced” in TFS 2013) wizard:
I had created local accounts for the TFS service account and the build service account (“tfsservice” and “tfsbuild”). In the appropriate screens in the installation wizard, I entered them as “.\tfsservice”:
When clicking “Test” I got some nice green checkmarks, so I figured all was OK.
However, when continueing with the installation it went sideways… Of course, these are CTP bits so this can be expected. First I got an error telling me that “VsoJobAgent.exe” had stopped working:
And then the configuration wizard failed at the “Configure services” stage:
When digging into the logs I found two messages related to accounts and permissions:
[Error @11:39:03.930] Unhandled Exception: System.Exception: The windows service logon account '.\tfsbuild' is not a valid account. Please make sure you provide the correct account. [Error @11:39:03.930] at Microsoft.TeamFoundation.DistributedTask.Agent.AgentConfigurationHelper.Configure(IResourceManager resourceManager, Dictionary`2 settings, String agentName, String workFolder, String windowsServiceLogonAccount, String windowsServiceLogonPassword, String sharedServiceIdentityName, String sharedServiceIdentityPassword, Boolean force, Int32 maxWorkerCount, ServiceStartMode startMode) [Error @11:39:03.930] at VsoAgent.AgentManager.ConfigureAgent(IResourceManager resourceManager, Dictionary`2 settings, CommandLine commandLine) [Error @11:39:03.930] at VsoAgent.Program.Main(String args)
[Error @11:39:12.974] Failed setting account on COM permissions [Error @11:39:12.974] System.Security.Principal.IdentityNotMappedException: Some or all identity references could not be translated. at System.Security.Principal.NTAccount.Translate(IdentityReferenceCollection sourceAccounts, Type targetType, Boolean forceSuccess) at System.Security.Principal.NTAccount.Translate(Type targetType) at Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Admin.ConfigureSetComPermissions.Run(ActivityContext context)
This made me think that maybe I need to provide the full computer name when specifying the accounts, so I gave that a try:
This time the configuration completed successfully!